Monday, March 18, 2013

Train Baby Train

On December 11th 2012, we welcomed our first child, Weston Nicklaus.  He is the little man in my life and the ultimate training partner.




Training with an infant takes a little bit of adjustment.  Especially when you're used to pulling your hair back, throwing on a random sports bra, and diving right into your workout within 5 min.
Now...  my workout prep includes planning my run around nap time, nursing my growing boy,  and wearing a VERY supportive sports bra.

I'm fairly new at this balancing act, but I've found a few tricks to keep me and my boy happy.  Here are some simple ways I stay focused and excited about training with an infant.

1.  Choose a race to keep you motivated.  Normally, I choose a triathlon but training for the swim portion would be a little difficult with baby W.  I chose another one of my favorite races.  A MARATHON.  USMC Marathon on Oct 27, 2013.

2.  Keep your options open.  Unfortunately, getting up and going isn't as easy as it used to be.  You may need to keep your workout inside.  Have a couple workout DVDs on hand.  Pushups, sit ups, and lunges are great too.
3.  Be prepared.  If you're outdoors and your training is longer than your child's nap time, make sure to bring toys, blankies, and bottles.  
4.  Stay mentally fit.  Most importantly, don't stress.  Being an athlete is fun.  Training is fun.  Being a happy girl, wife, and mommy is even better.

If you're looking for a great sports bra, I really like this one http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/MCL323/ ($$)  They are a little pricey, which is why I only have 3 but they are an athletic nursing mom's dream.

In my next blog, I'll go into detail regarding my training plan.

What is are you training for?  

Any tricks for training you find helpful with an infant?



2 comments:

  1. I don't have any tricks yet but I love hearing from others. We don't have kids but when we do I full intend on training while having a kid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are truly the best training partners!

      Delete