Thursday, March 28, 2013

Keep calm and run 26.2

The setting was perfect.  I just finished a quick at-home workout I copied from another athletes post.

Complete the following 5x:
5 burpees
10 tuck jumps
15 push ups
20 squats
50 lunges

I tried to do it as fast as I could, while counting each rep out loud because Weston was my audience.
He was delightfully entertained

Then I collapsed on the floor beside him.

Shortly after, about 10 min before the USMC Marathon website opened, Weston was down for a nap.  Perfect.  The website was open and my credit card was handy. 


I even set two alarms to make sure I was absolutely prepared.  Seriously...

BAM!  1200 hit.   That is when things took a turn and the 1 hour saga of refresh, refresh, refresh began.

It was absolutely incredible.  The site was down.  I checked the MCM facebook page, the MCM website, and active.com. DOWN!

12:10 -  Weston wakes up -- that was a short nap

refresh, refresh, refresh

12:20 - I'm losing my cool.
12:25 - I text Matt during his lunch break to announce I possibly won't get a slot.  He gets onto the site. No luck

refresh, refresh, refresh

12:30 - Weston's hungry -- feeding while controlling the mouse with one hand

refresh, refresh, refresh

12:31 - I get into active.com.  Fill out my information one handed, submit my T-Shirt size... click submit  ERROR...refresh, refresh, refresh

12:35 - I receive a text from Matt saying I should find an organization and sign up through them -- he's brilliant 

12:36 - Weston isn't happy.  I'm not happy.  I'm slowly losing more of my cool with the registration process
12:37 - I get into active.com, fill out my info again.  ERROR
refresh, refresh, refresh

12:45 - Matt finds an amazing fundraising organization  -- I log into active.com
refresh, refresh, refresh

12:50 - I'm in!

1:00 - Congratulations! You have registered for 2013 Marine Corps Marathon

I truly thought my hopes of running the 2013 MCM were over.  

1:01 - Reality check: Sometimes there are moments in life when you need to check yourself.  This was one of those moments and I needed a run and some mental clarity to gain some perspective.  

I realized two things about myself today:
1. How much I love racing and running marathons... or any race I've set my mind on doing
2. How quickly I lose my cool over something so small

In the end, I'm thankful to run the MCM.  I'm thankful I get to do it with Matt and my brother-in-law.  I'm thankful I get to meet and run along side so many runners and military supporters.  Most of all, I'm thankful I was pointed in the direction to fundraise and run for a good cause.  I'm looking forward to sharing my training progress with you and the organization I am supporting.   



2:00 - Weston and I ran 5 miles with our new runner friend.  (Thankful for new friends too)  

Those planning to run the MCM, did you get a slot? I really hope so

What do you do when you lose your cool?

9 comments:

  1. Wasn't that crazy?! I'm so glad you got in. I was holding my breath just reading that(even though I already knew you were in).

    I'm excited for you! I'm excited to run it as well.

    When i Lose my cool, my Irish temper comes out and my voice gets REALLY loud. My kids hide.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a little crazier than I expected.
      -- Irish temper. I like it.

      Delete
  2. SO glad to hear you got a spot! This EXACT thing happened with active.com during the Chicago marathon. Um, RIDICULOUS. I definitely lost my cool. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm sure you were frustrated with Chicago, but I'm glad you're running it this year.

      Delete
  3. I did the MC 17.75k, so I thankfully did not have to deal with that yesterday, but three of my workers tried to register and only two made it through. The third gave up after about 45 minutes of "refresh" and "error"! What a mess!

    I'm like that too, though, where I get all super intense about something and then once it's over I'm just like "seriously, Logan? Seriously." and have to take a step back.

    Maybe we'll see each other on race day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to meet up. You are one lucky runner that you didn't have to waist so much time on registration. I"m glad two out of the three got a slot. I just wasn't accepting defeat.

      Delete
  4. WOO HOO!!! I will be seeing you there!!! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you got in too, girl!!

      Delete
    2. I can't wait! The training begins. Runners running 26.2 in Chicago and DC.

      Delete