Friday, March 22, 2013

It's time to kick it up a notch

"Rain, rain, go away, come again...?...never?"

The weather was never an issue when we lived in CA.  I could always count on beautiful sunny skies and a moderate temp just about every day and ALL day.  Sighhhh

On the bright side of moving cross country, you become a better athlete.  You are exposed to a new climate, altitude, and other training conditions.  Change is always good.

Just a sneak peak of the weekly forecast. I still haven't figured out out how I'm going to do my long run this weekend.  Eeek



Today's hourly forecast wasn't looking too hot.  Luckily, I was already thinking of how I needed to kick it up a notch.



Which led me to set up my beloved bike - Sebastian.  Yeah, I'm one of those weirdos who named their bike.  My dad gave me this bike for my 21st birthday.  It's pretty special to me and we've shared some good times together :-)  


Helpful tip: Prepare your workout items ahead of time.  I always try to maximize my time (with or without a baby).  I've learned to get what I need while he is awake.  When he finally starts to snooze, I can hit the road or in my case the trainer.  You can really maximize your training time.  Even if it's only for 30 min.   

My set up.  Baby monitor, baby ammo, and H2O.  

Sebastian


Isn't he pretty.  After our cross country move, we gave our bikes some TLC.  Mine needed a little extra because I hadn't been on the saddle for a while.  

I was sooo excited to break out my favorite cycling stuff.  
My favorite towel

My favorite cycling socks

I was so excited that I took a self portrait.

All around, great workout.  Mainly focused on my RPMs (above 80) and kept it at a good resistance.  I've started the itch for cycling again and I'm already building spin workouts for next time.  :-)

Like I said, it's time to kick it up a notch.  I'm not loosing my marathon focus, I just needed to add a little something extra to my life since the USMC marathon is FOREVER away.  I  have my sights set on a couple 10ks and triathlons in the near future. 

T.G.I.F - I hope everyone has a safe and fun weekend.  

Have you added anything new to your workout routine recently?

2 comments:

  1. My sister named her bike, too. I think she calls it "blue lightning" or something silly like that. I have a Scott...so I call it Scotty.

    I'm about to start incorporating yoga again this coming weekend. I start a yoga-for-trade program where I clean 2 hours a week and get free unlimited yoga. It's a great deal for me because I would not have been able to afford it otherwise!

    MCM is really far away!! I got really excited after I registered on Saturday after my race, but then I was like...alright...just 7 more months!! ha.

    I have a big race in June that I am training for now and I am thinking of trying my hand at a tri sometime in august! It will be my first one. I hope I don't drown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My husband rides a Scott. Good name BTW.
      What a great program that you have for your yoga workouts. I just have the DVDs at home.
      Let me know if you need any help with your tri. They are my favorite of all races. What is your race in June?

      Delete